Some of the homes involved in what police are calling a ‘suspicious’ three-alarm fire in Toronto’s Yorkville area on Wednesday morning had unsolved building permit violations, records show.
Last May, several of the affected properties were issued violation orders for major interior alterations and exterior construction, including, but not limited to, façade changes without the benefit of building permits.
An order to comply was issued, ordering their owners to “cease all further construction until the necessary permit has been issued.”
According to the City of Toronto’s website, the status of those orders remains “unresolved.”
Many who live and work in the area told CTV News Toronto on Thursday that construction had been going on for about two years at the affected properties. However, it seems to have stopped.
“Months, months that they, you know, workers hadn’t been working. I literally walked the street, especially with my dog, all the time, and going to the gym, and I was just like -- it was kind of like -- when are they going to finish it,” said one resident.

No one was injured in the early morning blaze, which tore through a row of homes along Scollard Street, near Bay Street and Davenport Road.
Toronto fire says they were called to 106 Scollard around 4:30 a.m.
Today, police confirmed to CTV News Toronto that the affected addresses are 94 to 108 Scollard, which are located on the north side of the street.
At least six homes, were destroyed in the fire, which appears to have begun at a residence under construction. It quickly spread to nearby buildings and cars, causing significant damage, a spokesperson with the Toronto Fire Service previously told CP24.
Acting Deputy Fire Chief Steve Darling told reporters at the scene on Wednesday that many of the dwellings impacted by the fire had been converted into businesses.
“There is going to be a significant dollar value loss here,” he said at the time.
Officials have said that the damages could be in the tens of millions.
Toronto Hydro is now working to remove and replace hydro wires that were damaged in the blaze.

Const. Ashley Visser told CTV News Toronto on Thursday that investigators continue to work to gather information and speak with people who may have seen what happened.
“Officers are canvassing the area for video and witnesses at this time,” she said, adding that any additional information would be made available in a news release.
Toronto fire and the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office are also investigating.
With files from CTV News Toronto’s Janice Golding and CP24’s Bryann Aguilar