A Vancouver Island man has been sentenced to 22 years in prison for a variety of sexual offences involving minors, according to authorities. The RCMP says Shaun Pater was handed the lengthy prison term on Aug. 11, after he was convicted of one count of sexual interference with a person under the age of 14, two counts of sexual interference with persons under 16 and one count of sexual assault. Pater was charged and released from custody early last year under conditions that he have no contact with persons under 16, and not attend any public park, swimming area, school, theatre or other place where minors are known to frequent. Insp. Kim Bruce of the Port Alberni RCMP commended investigators for the “care, sensitivity and professionalism” they demonstrated in the case, in a statement Thursday. “These historical offences spanned several years and required an exceptional degree of dedication and investigative skill to bring these matters before the courts, to obtain justice and hopefully, to gain some measure of closure for those individuals directly impacted by the offender,” Bruce said. Mounties also recognized the courage of the victims and witnesses who participated in the criminal proceedings. A court-ordered publication ban is in place protecting the identities of victims and witnesses involved in the case.